Friday, June 4, 2010

Bargello Museum

This is short and sweet- I forgot to post this earlier... it was sitting in the "drafts" and I never published the post.

I was so incredibly excited to visit the Bargello Museum. It is often overlooked as there are no paintings; it is a sculpture museum. I was drawn to it by Michelangelo and Donatello, but one should visit the Bargello simply for it's structure and aesthetic qualities. It used to be a prison (executions would take place in the courtyard), but today it provides yet another lovely opportunity to consider medieval architecture.

The Bargello is home to Michelangelo sculptures and perhaps it most famously exhibits Donatello's fascinating bronze "David". Many people think this David is rather feminine, but one must always consider what the sculptor was trying to achieve in terms of narrative and more specifically, what emotions he was trying to evoke.

Here are a few pictures of the museum:









It is difficult to get proper pictures as they do not allow for many. The museum was about a 1 minute walk from our hotel, The Hotel Bernini Palace. We absolutely loved the hotel for it's location, the spacious suite and the very kind staff (and Lorenzo).

I am catching up on the blog photos on the terrace of out hotel in Venice. I'm getting some sun and sharing this trip with all of you. It's coming to an end, so I am trying get all of this on here before I leave!

Here are the rest of the photos (there really are not that many): BargelloPhotos
You are all so sweet. Ouiser, I think we must have been separated at birth or something.

Baci from Italia,
Brooke

1 comment:

  1. Great pictures! I remember studying Donatello’s David a while back…it always fascinated me. A little chilling to be where executions used to take place! (I really want to say “eh?” here, lol)

    ReplyDelete