Saturday, June 5, 2010

Venice Part 2



If you are ever in Venice, make it a point to go to the Scuola San Rocco. It was something I had always dreamed of doing and I couldn't wait to see the painting cycle in the Great Upper Hall by Tintoretto. It is affectionately referred to as "Tintoretto's Sistine Chapel". Scuole in Venice were a sort of brotherhood, under the patronage of a Saint. The members would tend to various interests: the arts, professional associations and religious practice. The Suola Grande of Saint Roch was the only bortherhood to be spared by the Napoleonic edicts.


Tintoretto's painting cycle (on the ceiling). Pictures were not allowed, but somehow my mother managed to sneak a few... she's pretty kickass. Looking downwards adn around the hall there were also pieces by Bellini, Tiepolo, and Tiziano.


Staircase leading to the Great Upper Hall. The Ground floor was decorate with Tiepolo, Titian and Giorgione (who I just discovered and very much admire).

We also visited the Doge's Palace where I was able to see Casanova's jail cells (there were two). As we all know, he escaped and fled to France only to return to work for the Republic of Venice as a spy once again. What fewer people know is that a priest helped him escape; they built a tunnel for two months when the guards were not around. Casanova and the priest could openly communicate in Latin and the priest dug the hole from his cell (and covered it with a drawing of saints during the daytime). The priest was imprisoned because he fathered three children.


The Domes of St. Mark's Basilica can be see from the overlook of the Palace courtyard.

The Doge's Palace is also home to the third largest archive in the world. Second only to the Vatican and Vienna. The Venetians were very efficient record keepers; they made multiple copies of every significant document to ensure that at least one record would survive the frequent fires.


The Grand Staircase that leads to the "Square Room" in the Doge's Palace.

*photos were not allowed in the interior. this shutterbug was cut short.


A quaint little restaurant, but I wanted y'all to see how tiny the streets are.

I would also recommend a visit to Frari Church to see Antonio Canova's tomb, Titian's "Assumption", Bellini's "Madonna and Child" in the sacristy, Donatello's first work in Venice and the magnificent hand carved choral thrones. The interior of the church was very unique with brick, marble and intricately carved wooden beams. These elements made it distinguishable and sophisticated in my opinion.


We had mass at Santa Maria Salute and this church is fashioned in the Rococo style (much to my delight). Occasionally, I really enjoy Rococo and this church was so beautifully situated in addition to being designed so thoughtfully. One of the priests, (not the one conducting mass), was very, very handsome. *smiles* I felt horrible for thinking that (or maybe I shouldn't?) All I could think about was if I should actually go to confession (it's been a while)... but would I confess this to him? #moraldilemma


Santa Maria Salute


an enchanting garden off of the Grand Canal

Here are some photos of Venice at night. By the way, we just missed Johnny Depp's yacht (that would have been fun). He was filming a movie with Angelina Jolie called "The Tourist"...


Rialto Bridge


Another view from my room.



St. Mark's Square from the rough water. Executions once took place in between those two towers, so it's a local practice to not walk in between them.


A typical nighttime canal view. Near Rialto.


I tried to give background without going on and on as I did in the first post. I preferred to do larger, more inclusive posts this go round.

Here are the remaining photos: VenicePart2

Only one more left, Verona. We visited Padova and much to my demise, the Scrovegni Chapel was temporarily closed. I was really upset, but it's an excuse to make a return visit to Saint Anthony's birthplace. So we went to Verona instead. :)

By the way, I can now read HTML. Who would have though that was possible?

Shoutouts to @belladonna 1472, she is the author of "The Cullen Campaign". If you have not already, read 'The Gentleman From Washington State" by @MissBettySmith and "Mens Rea: A Guilty Mind" by @killarwardsmuse. Each author is so proficient at including political theory and ethics, studies of the American justice system, politico factoids and legal substance in compelling and sexy ways.

And to Miss Icy, I am so, so sorry I have not reviewed, but I promise to do you proud. (hugs)

I am hosting a readalong for @cosmogirl7481 "Retail Therapy" on the 22nd. You'd best log onto Twitter prepared for all sorts of slorific chat.

Oh, quick fun fact: The drink, the Bellini, originated in Venice at Harry's Bar. I already knew this (as you probably did too) but what I didn't realize is that is was certainly named by Giuseppe Cipriani for the Venetian artist, Bellini. The color of the drink reminded him of one of Bellini's paintings.

Divine.

All my love,

Brooke

2 comments:

  1. Brooke,
    Cute priest...moral dilemma... *snorts*.
    Here I thought you would simply be astounded by all the beautiful architecture. Cosmo will be so proud!!

    Raina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all of your sneaky photos. Thank you for risking the chance of being reprimanded. I totally forgot that Johnny Depp was filming there! That would have been aaammazing!

    I just can’t get enough of these water shots, soo pretty. & thanks for the bellini tid bit :) We need another bellini date soon! xoxo

    ReplyDelete