Thursday, June 3, 2010

I fell in love with San Gimignano.



San Gimignano rises above the Elsa Valley in Tuscany as a grand medieval town. There are many medieval towers which are still standing proudly as they compose San Gimignano's skyline and each of them famously help the city earn the title "Tuscany's Manhattan".


San Gimignano Towers

Now I don't need to explain that the city is the absolute farthest thing from Manhattan. The streets of San Gimignano wind and twist in ascension. The streets are lined with trattorias, ceramic shops, butchers, pasticcerias, and even a gelato shop that has been awarded "#1 in Tuscany". San Gimignano is incredibly famous for the Vernaccia wine that I told you about on the farm (as I am sure you all have heard before anyway). The farm was about 20 minutes from San Gimignano. The city also produces saffron and in the Middle Ages it was a vital component to the economy. San Gimignano is a neighbor to Florence, so it makes sense that Dante served as an Ambassador of the Guelph League here.



A little restaurant in the heart of the city.


Sunlight peeping through.

I most beautiful part of San Gimignano is the gardens where you can overlook the Tuscan countryside and acquire a more intimate view of the towers. Gardens in Italy do have flowers, but they are usually dominated by olive trees and citrus trees and fountains. The Boboli Gardens in Florence for example, are a great example of a Renaissance garden- with more shrubs and fountains and less flowers. Versailles' gardens were inspired by them.


A colorful advertisement for an exhibition I think. I just liked the picture.

I really loved how small and lively the city was and yet it was still secluded and natural. It reminded me of Orvieto in this way. Perhaps San Gimignano is to Florence what Orvieto is to Rome. Like our trip to Orvieto, we purchased ceramic pottery- my mother collects it, but I always get to help choose her pieces (she needs me). It's all very ornate and handmade.


Our favorites pieces. :)


I was walking past this house and I see that a Puglisi lives here. hehe


I'm pretty sure I could ramble for hours about this place. I loved it very much.
Hope you enjoy the rest of the photos.

SanGimignanoPhotos

I try to take pictures of everyday things and pictures of the shops and restaurants because you all have told me you like to see that. :)

Brooke

4 comments:

  1. I love love love the "everyday things" photos. It reminds me that these lovely places are actually considered home to many people.

    xoxo,
    Ouiser

    ps I also adore Italian pottery! I'll tweet you a pic of a pitcher I bought years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The intricacy of these plates are stunning...looked through your album and I just adore all the other pieces. I can't wait to see Momma K's purchases! Did you try Tuscany's #1 gelato shop? I'm sure it's delizioso :) (just trying to keep up with you..)

    Oh and I love the photo of the harpist! I want to be serenaded!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whatever Brigette... you can so keep up with me...you know this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait until we go to Paris together. Then I will be trying to keep up with your French.

    ReplyDelete