Thursday, May 27, 2010

Casa di Dante and Chiesa di Dante



I don't even need to explain Dante's presence in Florence and I couldn't properly give an account of it anyway. Simply put, Florence thrives off of Dante and he can be found on every street corner and known with each breath. Whether you see a couple in love, a writer sitting along the Arno, or wherever you look... Dante is alive and well.


Commedia


Of course I planned on returning to "Casa di Dante". On a previous trip, I took this tour with the impression that it was actually his home, but they are positive it was a friend's home and are unsure of where Dante's Florentine residence was. However, "Casa di Dante" has an incredibly detailed tour with information about Florence during the time of Dante and of course, the woman that he loved. I took a picture of the Beatrice Portinari description; hopefully it is readable.


"Casa di Dante"


"Casa di Dante"


I had absolutely no idea that the small chapel across the street was where Dante supposedly "met" Beatrice as she would frequent this chapel for prayer. Today, her tomb is elegantly adorned with flowers and candlelight- I found the chapel to be so serene and comfortable. I considered it to be uniquely beautiful as it offers something special that the grandiose Cathedrals do not have. I liked that it was off the beaten path and there were only one or two others in there at the time. next to Beatrice's tomb, there are baskets where people write letters to Beatrice. I thought I would too, so I went across the street and bought a lovely sheet of Florentine stationary and wrote to her.


Tomb of Beatrice Portinari


Chiesa di Dante entrance

Included in the "Dante" photo album are photos of the Ponte St. Trinita (recognizable from the Holiday painting) and I will add a few other Dante related things. For those of you who read UOEM, I visited the Officina Profumo-Farmaceutica di Santa Maria Novella and it was so beautiful. I will add the photos of this boutique to the "Dante" album too for my FF ladies. I made a purchase there (perfumes and extracts) and I will surely be ordering online from them.

If you are interested in viewing the website, you can find a link to the perfumery here: SMNovella

Here is the link to the "Dante" photo album: Dante

Love, B

4 comments:

  1. Dearest Buttercup,

    *Sigh* The blog is exquisite, just as I expected it to be. I feel as though I'm there, too; your descriptions are so very vivid and your photos breathtaking. I LOVED taking the Casa di Dante tour with you. I'm glad you are having such a marvelous time. Thank you for sharing your trip!

    Sending you transatlatic kisses,
    Clementine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Clementine. I am glad you enjoy the photos. I could have used your help with graphics for this thing to spruce it up, but it serves it's purpose!

    Glad you enjoyed the Dante things... Dante is absolutely everywhere here. He really appears at unexpected times... (more on that later).

    Hope you have a fabulous time with Raina and her family! I couldn't imagine a more lively or humorous day!!

    Mwahh! B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Intoxicated by Dante! I know how thrilled you must be. I'm not as educated on Dante as you are, but this post gives me chills thinking about the places you visited. Letters to Beatrice...how sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sipping my morning coffee and catching up with your beautiful and inspiring blog. I don't know how I missed your Dante post the first time around but it is wonderful!

    I was stuck by your photo of the intersection featured in the Holiday painting. It's amazing to me that despite all this time it is still so recognizable. It reminds me that we are linked more closely to our past than we often think!

    xoxo,
    Ouiser

    ReplyDelete