Friday, May 28, 2010

Pitti Palace


Yesterday morning we decided to go to the Pitti palace before the Caravaggio exhibit was over crowded. It's a short walk across the Ponte Vecchio to the Medici's one time residence. The Gallerina Palatina boasts of incredible masterpieces by Fra Lippi, Titian, Canova, Raphael, Peter Paul Rubens... (just to name a few). Photos were absolutely not allowed, but the few that I did take inside will hopefully turn out nicely. Here, they ask you to not take photos, but people seems to sneak them in anyway (knowing they will be reprimanded). Truly, all you have to say is "I don't speak Italian" and that can be an excuse.





In general, I have mixed feelings about taking photos of paintings and sculpture. I prefer not to take pictures of paintings as I really enjoy savoring the intimate moment of recognition and keeping that in my memory. However, sometimes it's nice to have a personal reminder of your time there.

at the beginning of May, the Uffizi Gallery has partnered with the Galleria Palatina to present a special Caravaggio exhibit. "Sleeping Cupid", "The Incredulity of St. Thomas" and "The Sacrifice of Isaac" were just a few of the hauntingly illuminated works by Caravaggio. Photos were absolutely not allowed and I appreciate that, but I wish I could share them with you.

The dramatic courtyard behind the Pitti Palace was designed by Ammannati. The Grotto Grande was something we stumbled on and the stalactites were fabulous. Giambologna statues adorn the interior of the grotto. The lovely Boboli gardens were a place where Lorenzo de Medici would invite his artist friends (like Botticelli) to come and work. The Renaissance garden had Rococo and Baroque hints throughout I think.

PittiPalacePhotos

Love, B

4 comments:

  1. I wasn't familiar (no surprise) with those three paintings so I googled them, natch. I found them to be quite emotionally evocative and I am certain they are more so in person. Thank you for the introduction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you described Caravaggio's works as "hauntingly illuminated"--it's perfect. To walk the corridors that the Medicis once did is absolutely amazing...didn't Napoleon also reside here for a little bit? I could be wrong, I'll have to search! Thanks for sharing and letting me live vicariously through your photos, one post at a time. Hugs to you & Momma K!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brooke, what a cool thing to 'stumble upon!' So awesome! Now, stumbling in on your parents while they are having sex, may cause blindness...J/S.
    'The Sacrifice of Isaac' has always been one of my favorite. Totes jealous. LOL. Thanks for the update. My pics pale in comparison but I found my chest swelling out to learn that Tennesee had 30 men who defended the Alamo, more than double any other state. Go Vols!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brigette my love, yes. I'm pretty sure Napoleon did live at the Pitti Palace at some point. It was commissioned (almost in full) but Luca Pitti, he was a banker and a rival of the Medici family. He wanted to make it more grandiose than the Ruccelai (Medici Palace) and then he went bankrupt and the Medicis bought it from him.

    Um... I saw your comment about our little secret passage way... Can I get an almond?


    Raina: I hope you are having a marvelous time in San Antonio. I loved the bit about the Vols!! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete