Thursday, May 27, 2010

Museo dell'Opera di Santa Maria del Fiore

Hello everyone!

I am going to do a few posts tonight as I was too exhausted yesterday evening and didn't post about half of the pictures I took.

The Museo dell'Opera is located directly behind the apse of the Duomo and is home to many of the pieces of art and architecture that once dwelled in the Duomo or on the façade. The museum itself used to be the workshops and headquarters where Donatello and Brunelleschi would get their business done. I think their time was well spent.


"Mary Magdalene" Donatello

One the first floor, there is a room where the statues and works of the outer façade are displayed. Michelangelo's Pieta is within eyesight and is regally situated at the top of a staircase. An original panel of the Ghiberti's "Gates of Paradise" was on exhibition. From what I understand, m any of them are being restored now so we were lucky to have even seen one panel. The museum featured others works by Donatello and Pisano. It is simply incredible.


wooden model for Brunelleschi's dome


It's fitting that the cherry on top was on the top floor of the museo and was an exhibition on Brunelleschi's drafting of the cupola and the entire face of the Cathedral. The pulleys are amazing and the wooden models of the cupola are simplay fascinating. I must admit, that these technical details would normally be overlooked by me (mainly because I don't understand them), but I found myself immersed in the explanations and blueprints. I climbed all of the stairs to the top of the cupola (pictures to come later) and it really made me appreciate the genius behind the architecture (and the pasta I ate earlier... you need energy to climb all of those steps!)


Ghiberti




MuseodellOpera

I am also going to link to a larger album with photos all around Florence. I know, I know I take way too many photos of the Palazzo Vecchio but it is so fabulous. I hope you all enjoy the photos of the Ponte Vecchio and the Ponte St Trinita. I will caption the photos on photobucket as well.


Ponte Vecchio


Ponte St. Trinita

FirenzePhotos

There are so many things I would like to explain, but I will try my best with captions. I also intend on grouping together a little "Dante" album as a I visited "Casa di Dante" today. I had done this before, but I did not walk across the street last visit to see Beatrice's tomb. More on that later... Oh, and it's not actually his home- they say that it was most likely a friend's home and that he lived nearby, but they do not know for sure.

I did a little shopping today as well. Miuccia Prada would be proud! *wink*

(PS. the photos that are on the actual post can be enlarged if you click on them.)

love,
B.

2 comments:

  1. I am still making my way through your posts and photos but had to take a moment to say how impressed I am! You are doing a wonderful job taking your readers with you on your journey both through your descriptions and amazing pictures.

    Seriously, do you have a background in photography? I can never seem to get the lighting right in mine but yours look perfect!

    I'm missing Florence and Italy as a whole. I think its time to start planning a return visit with Mr. O!

    oh and I think we should get updates on your shopping as well as the art and history you are witnessing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My travel blogging queen! I see I have a few posts to catch up on!
    Michelangelo, Ghiberti, Brunelleschi, oh my...I really can't imagine seeing all of the breathtaking pieces that you are. That's wonderful that you were able to see a panel from the Gates of Paradise! & ooh lala, I can't wait to see the Prada goods! Did Lorenzo take you shopping? :) On to the next post!

    ReplyDelete