Friday, May 28, 2010

Quick Post: Night time Slideshow in Piazza della Signoria




Good evening ladies and gents!

I wanted to post these photos from last night. Our hotel is one block from the piazza and on our way "home" we stumbled upon an anniversary celebration of the republic. (That is what the nice police man said.)






You can find the other slides here:
Photos

I'm in early tonight because we are leaving very early in the morning to visit a few places.
Off to upload photos...

By the way, I told Lorenzo about the blog and that he should visit it when he has free time. He is quite charming.

I wanted to do a big Uffizi post, but photos are obviously not allowed. I could have probably spent an entire day there. We had a private guide simply to get ahead of the line. Generally, I prefer to do the "tour" myself, but our guide was a professor of philosophy and he was incredibly knowledgeable and very, very kind. He was very passionate about the Venetian Renaissance which is something I knew less about (I only know about Titian and Bellini and a few others.) When we were in queue, he gave me a lesson about the Medici family. I confess, I knew every little about them other than Lorenzo's patronage of the arts and very basic info about their reign.

I had absolutely no idea that they had a secret passage way from City Hall (Palazzo Vecchio) all the way to the Pitti Palace. This was a security measure as the Medici family was not exactly well liked by the people of Florence. More on that later. I still need to go and take a picture of it! hehe


Love, B

4 comments:

  1. Here, I was sad & thought I was at the end of your posts...only to refresh & see you just updated! Yay!
    I have no doubts that your visit to Uffizi was incredible and it sounds like your tour guide was very informative! I can't wait to see a picture of the secret passage way...
    For some reason this made me thing of a joke we made a while ago...probably deliriously. It has to do with a word play on our names...I'll let you figure that one out. If not, I'll let you know when we iChat! I think I need to make a name, so whenever I do I will DM you. Okay off to stalk your pictures--please warn Momma K that she is about to get an overload of photo comment notifications ;) LOVE & MISS YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darling Buttercup,
    You have found your calling, I believe. And you're way cuter than Samantha Brown. I'll go ahead and make a call to the Travel Channel right now....

    Hehe.

    The slide show is just spectacular! They do know how to throw a bash in Florence.

    I miss your chipper self and I am just adoring your blog. Thank you so much for sharing, love.

    #PleasedontlettheUffiziwallsLanguishUnmolested

    Just saying.

    Love,
    Peaches

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. Thanks for unlocking and not making me check hourly for you to unlock.

    Not that I'd do that.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Buttercup
    how wonderful to read your blog. It feels like i am there all over again!
    I have actually learned alot reading yr blog!
    love
    Ally

    ReplyDelete